Wednesday, July 1, 2015

S.A._JCFan // SA_JCFan // sa_jcfan

These are variations of a user name I created when I got my first computer and internet access way back in 1997. Among the first websites I discovered was www.jimcarreyonline.com, a fan website that helped me managed my obsession with Jim Carrey. I contributed so much news to the website that I eventually became a News Correspondent for the first few years. I was even being trained by one of the site's founders to help manage the growing website and the forums. That fandom was such a big part in choosing my now silly-sounding user name. When the forum and the news team got bigger, I quietly stepped away from the "job" and became a lurker.

So why did I like Jim Carrey? He immediately became my favorite actor after I watched Ace Ventura: Pet Detective and The Mask and I watched his appearances on episodes of In Living Color on FX. I followed his work and watched almost all of his movies. I found him to be silly, charming, and handsome. His political views and beliefs never really affected me until he started dating Jenny McCarthy, and when he started being very vocal about it, I was becoming less and less of a fan. I didn't watch any of his movies after he distanced himself from "Kick Ass 2." And he was noticeably getting less movies roles, save for a few TV appearances.

And then, I saw this shit yesterday on Gawker:





What. The. FUCKING. HELL?

Is he still on this anti-vax crusade, even after breaking up with Jenny McCarthy? The comedic actor who I used to have a silly crush on when I was a kid was now this... unfunny and delusional man. I mean, fine, I may not agree with his views and I'll give him credit for standing up for what he believes in. His heart's in the right place and he clearly wants to do more philanthropy work. He just comes off as both knowledgeable and misguided. It disgusted me so much that I admitted aloud, "That's it. I'm done with Jim Carrey," much to Vince's delight. He joked that I should change my username to "SA_DAFan" since I'm a fan of Dean Ambrose. Funny enough, Erika also joked that I should change my name to "SA_WWEFan" since she was surprised that I got intro wrestling and lost interest in Jim Carrey.

I'll still keep the user name though because it's a silly and personal story to share. And my current favorite is now Chris Pratt :D


No comments:

Post a Comment