Friday, June 19, 2015

Thirteen Years

A photo posted by sheila antonio (@sajcfan) on

On Tuesday, I got to meet one of my best friends, Erika, from Guam. She was one of the few people to see me and my mom off at the airport when we left for Las Vegas nearly 13 years ago.

I met up with her, her husband, Lawrence, and her 2 cousins, Lori and Mark, at the Venetian. Actually, I was in between Venetian and Palazzo, and Erika and I are both on our phones trying to find each other. I saw Erika at the 2nd floor and ran up the escalator to give her the biggest bear hug ever!

We went to Pandora because Erika wanted to get more charms for her expensive charm bracelet (all I have on me is just a hair tie). Then we walked outside to try to get to Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum, only to find out it was closed. Then we walked over the Linq to see if we can get on the High Roller, which was ridiculously expensive after 7 pm. We stopped by at Sprinkles Cupcake to get some mini cupcakes. We went back to the Venetian to stop by at Carlos' Bakery to get more snacks. For a late dinner, I tagged along with them to go to Hard Rock Cafe, where Erika got major discounts at the gift shop and for the food since she's an Operations Manager for the Hard Rock back on Guam.



Her cousin remarked on how it was amazing that we were still close after 13 years. It's not exactly true; we actually lost contact a few years after I left Guam but thanks FB, we reconnected. Erika said we might not say Happy Birthday to each other every year or comment or like every photos but we still had that bond. As she was talking about the value of friendship, I made an audible groan upon discovering I ate a Jalapeno pepper from the nachos. I assured her that I was reacting to the pepper and not about our friendship and she let out a hearty laugh.

The whole time, Erika talked about how I still looked the same and I was still making funny sounds. Erika, however, has changed so much. She was much confident and talked nonstop about her work and her employees. She was even critical about how the hostess seated us at the cafe. It looks like Erika is considering to move to the states, specifically Vegas, San Francisco, or Seattle. Her husband was so nice and funny and they were SO adorable together.

I won't able to hang out with her until Saturday for the Amazing Las Vegas Comic Con, so I'll try to make the best of it before she leaves. She said she'll have some Chamorro Cookies for me :D

No comments:

Post a Comment