Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Personal post

I haven't done any weekend recap posts because I didn't feel anything exciting happened or is worth talking about. Then again, all of my recent posts where WWE-related so it's still a weak explanation. I feel better talking about wrestling because it's a nice escape. Anyways, I stopped doing the recaps because I was feeling a bit depressed. There's Vince's job situation and then there's my general frustration with my work and family life. I won't go into details about it but I will say that it's getting harder to stay positive.

That was, until yesterday, when Vince got some great news: He got his job back.

He's a contractor so he wasn't exactly fired or let go, they just didn't have any projects for him. This went on for 5 months and he's applied at several positions in and out Nevada with very little luck. He's a bit sad that during those 5 months, he never really got any big offers or callbacks, despite the work he put in. It greatly affected his integrity and confidence and I can't blame him. He finally gets a callback and it's from the same job that said we have nothing for you. He was the first person to be called back and he starts in 2 weeks. I assured him that it's still better than nothing. It's better than wondering what he has to do in the next few weeks. He's relieved that he has a job again but at the same time a little sad about it.

And then something else happened; he got a job interview at California for a studio that does movie props. He has to drive there for the interview this Friday, which is a 4-5 hour drive from Vegas. We talked about it and Vince said he wants to go for it. This is a job where he can do 3D modeling, his top skill, whereas as his other job, he was interviewed as a 3D artist but brought in as a Flash 2D artist (it's some messed up thing that corporate does when hiring for a specific job positions and then putting them in an entirely different position).

So we went from being assured that he was going back to work in 2 weeks to now being excited for a job interview this week. Vince worked out with Dan and he'll be staying there for a day to get a bit of rest before driving out for the interview, which is about an hour away from where he's staying. This is an exciting opportunity for him.

Now I'm face with a reality check: Either Vince gets the job and we finally get out of Vegas or Vince sticks with his old job and stays in Vegas. There are obvious pros and cons here and it all depends on how this interview turns out. When Vince and I first started going out, he talked about the possibility of us leaving Vegas. I felt I wasn't ready for it, just like how I wasn't ready to leave Guam before moving here. Of course, times changed. Most of my immediate family isn't here in Vegas anymore, I graduated college and am stuck with student loan debt for the rest of my life, and I've gained enough work experience to make a hopefully decent resume. I'm pretty settled here but if we need to move, I would be excited for it.

I'm ready for surprises. Ehhh probably.


No comments:

Post a Comment