Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Las Vegas Comic Expo


My goodness, another convention? Yup! We went to this one because of a sweet Living Social deal to buy the Sunday ticket for $9 instead of $25. Vince and I ended up having a way more enjoyable time here than ANIMEGACON, which was overpriced and too giant of a venue. The Expo was supposed to be held at the Alexis Resort but it changed venues the same week and was moved to The Riviera. I was quite surprised by how busy it was and I thought it was somewhat more organized, especially on it's last day.

We only stayed for 3 hours but came away with a bunch of stuff! For one, the exhibit floor was full of local and out of state comic books stores. The artist alley was an impressive mix of newbie artists and professionals. We even got to meet Sean Galloway, the character designer for the Spectacular Spider-Man animated show that was briefly on Kids' WB! before the Disney-Marvel merge happened. Vince bought a set of gritty TMNT portraits and J. Scott Campbell's sketchbooks. I got a Nyan Tardis shirt and Vince got a Samurai Stormtrooper shirt from Coast City Styles. We only attended one panel and that was Before Watchmen, featuring artists Adam Hughes and JG Jones and writer Len Wein. I wish I bought something of Hughes' work to sign so all I got him to sign was one of those giant Before Watchmen posters.

Aside from not being clear with the scheduled panels and workshops, overall it was a pretty fun atmosphere to be in! I know I keep bringing up ANIMEGACON because it really was quite boring in comparison and we were only there for Linda Le aka "Vampy." Here, we saw young and old comic book fans and some pretty decent cosplay. Hopefully, this convention will get better in the years to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment