Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Academic Advice

So my faith in enrolling Ai of Pittsburgh (Online Divison) has greatly dwindled. Again. It's a pretty low reservoir mind you. Thanks to some sound advice from my "academic counselor" who was nice enough to let me know that he's switching teams and I might get a new academic counselor. What was the advice? It was regarding finding work before I graduate. I said I have been trying to apply for internships but I needed a certain number of credits to do so. He recommended 99Designs.com. It sounded pretty promising until he mentioned spec work... SPEC WORK.

SPEC-F*CKING-WORK.

From there he talked elaborately (or read off a script) on how I can do some freelance work and get some extra cash on the side. I just have to put my watermark on my designs and if I get picked, I can get paid for it. I could brag (lie) to that I've worked "internationally." Yeah, I really want to fill up my portfolio with that. My "academic counselor" even recommended Zazzle.com! Really? I would've expected notable websites to apply for internships. When I had my portfolio reviewed at San Diego Comic Con, I was recommended to try applying at smaller studios like BentoBox or Titmouse to get started. This guy tells me to make t-shirts and mugs.

Thanks man. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment