Friday, September 4, 2015

Part 1: One week til "Lockdown"


Well, since I'm bored, I figured I'd amuse myself and make a 3-part observation posts on Dean Ambrose's upcoming movie, "12 Rounds 3: Lockdown." First part is the hype and promotion leading to the film's release next week. Second part is the review consensus and box office earnings (if any) of the film on its opening day. Third part will be the week after its release, where I have a feeling it'll be out of theaters by then.

(Note: I used to do this kind of thing back when I was an active contributor and eventual editor for Jim Carrey Online. I would scour for any kind of news tidbit about Carrey or his movies and submit my writing. We would happily interact with the forum members, such as providing details from an early screening or personal reviews from watching the movie on opening day. Finally, we would track how much its earning in the weekend box office and see how long it lasts in the top ten.)

WWE Studios worked out a deal with Lionsgate to produce the "Action Six-Pack," a partnership that consists of WWE Superstars headlining or co-starring in "high octane" action films with talented and upcoming filmmakers. The first film in the installment was "Vendetta", starring Dean Cain and The Big Show. WWE has been pretty consistent in promoting the movie on their end and through social media. Big Show even brought a DVD to JBL a while back on RAW to promote its release, which was unintentionally amusing. The movie garnered fair-to-negative reviews, a standard for WWE films. Which is why I'm somewhat worried for "Lockdown."

Let me be clear: I am not going out of my way to hunt down and watch the movie in theaters or download the movie. I'm pretty sure I can find pieces of the movie online in the form of clips and gifs and go off the critic reviews.

Tumblr's tag #dean ambrose is feverishly excited for the movie. This is a rated R film, so some of these young girls are either going to sneak into this movie or **shudder** go with their parents to watch it. Also, the plot of the movie is very much straightforward and, as some have pointed out, a "Die Hard" ripoff. I've tried my best to avoid watching other clips of the movie besides the trailer because, as far as I'm concerned, the lesser I see of the movie, the more I can lower my expectations for it.

Frankly, I'm very surprised that it's getting a limited theater release run. How many theaters will carry it? For comparison's sake, "Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F" ran in 800+ theaters and made a little over $7 million, which is astounding for a movie that caters to a specific audience. I'm not expecting Ambrose to be a breakout movie star, like Dwayne Johnson or Dave Batista. If anything, I think it would be interesting to see if Ambrose gets offered to do small TV or movie cameos.

Anyways, the hype train is moving and it's chugging at a slow pace. Ambrose is not going out of his way to promote it and he only talks about the movie when it is brought up. Also, in parallel to what's happening with Ambrose in this month's road to Night of Champions, he and Reigns have unofficially become a tag team against the 3-man Wyatt Family. There's no push for Ambrose for now.


By the way, this is Dean dancing to New Day's entrance theme on last night's Smack Down! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment